Anyone else out there dwell on mistakes? I know I do and, oftentimes, they keep me up at night. No one beats me up better than I do! I’m working on realizing I am human, I make mistakes and so do you.
So how do we move on? Here are some quick suggestions:
- Own up to it immediately – saying “I’m sorry, I made a mistake. Please forgive me” can be quite disarming. Then-
- Find a solution as quickly as possible
- Don’t assume it’s too late – even if you said something in a meeting and realize 2 days later you blew it find a way to acknowledge it and clear it up
- Don’t ignore it and hope it will go away. Most often it doesn’t plus you will feel lousy waiting
- Learn from the mistake – analyze it, how it happened, why you said/did it. Were you motivated by anger, power, fear, lack of knowledge? How can you prevent this from happening again?
- If nobody died, lost their job or went to the hospital move on. The mistake won’t be significant in the long run
- Be forgiving of yourself – when someone else makes a mistake don’t you forgive and forget? Be your own best friend rather than your enemy
Remember – we ALL make mistakes. It’s how we handle them that make us remark-able.