I get asked a lot about how I keep up with Broadcast, television, digital and social media, what I read, where I get inspired, etc.
Here is my random top 9 list (in no particular order) of what I do to stay relevant:
- 2 lunches weekly with people who challenge me, know more than I do and, hopefully, make me laugh
- Read a minimum of 2 hours daily 7 days a week – blogs and magazines from Fast Company, TVNewsCheck, SmartBriefs newsletters, Cynopsis, Spots ‘n’ Dots, Chris Murray at Varda Kreuz, Harvard Business Review are on my “must read” list
- Maintain a facebook interest list of TV stations and visit this at least 2x daily. I look for quantity and quality based on engagement and I also look for ideas
- Study TV – I watch as much as possible to see what sticks and pay attention to comments on facebook and twitter to get a better feel for viewer thoughts. Yes, I love my job!
- Ask questions. If you know me you know I do this a lot!
- Attend a webinar weekly to continue learning – SM, SEO, email ROI, trends, etc
- Have several google alerts to keep up with TV Stations, Broadcast Groups, Broadcast industry and other favorites
- Sign up and study TV station newsletters, mobile alerts and websites daily. Analyze, look for ways they could improve if they hired me!
- Go for a 30 minute walk daily – great way to clear my head, think uninterrupted and good for the body and soul.
These are a few I am “religious” about. What about you? What do you do to stay up to date and fresh? How do you remain relevant and remark-able? Please share so we can learn from each other.